Right after lunch we do room-specific housework. Wednesdays are the bathroom. It's interesting observing which tasks they are drawn to and enjoy.
how to read like a ’90s mom
3 weeks ago
Photo heavy posts about 'family life' as it pertains to the kids can now be viewed at a private blog that is invitation only. If you would like an invitation, please send me an e-mail or leave me a comment.
Jamie likes this! Looks like they are doing a very good job.
ReplyDeleteThey'll work for Legos ;-)
ReplyDeleteYes Legos are worth working for!
ReplyDeleteI think the hardest lesson to learn with chores is that you're not just doing it for the money but because it's your home also and you should be a part of taking care of it. Maybe it's not a hard lesson just a longer lesson to realize. Because I definitely did chores for the money at first and then as I got older helped out more because it was something I should do. My mother may remember differently and probably say I just worked for the money :-)
I have waited a long time to give them money for chores. Their allowance, for example, has never been tied to doing chores.
ReplyDeleteNow that they do help out with chores and tasks because it is part of being a responsible and helpful family member (without the exchange of money), I've decided to boost their practice of certain chores with the motivation of money.
I figure, once the door is opened and tasks become part of their repertoire, the money will be faded out (or be directed towards the practice of a new set of chores).
The day-of-the-week housework we do together, incidentally, does not involve money. This is a time of working cooperatively. Because as the Free To Be You And Me says: housework is so much better when done together!
Yeah, now that you mention it I think we did have chores before we started getting an allowance. Taking care of the cat and dog, cleaning our rooms, yard work, etc. Then I think when I was in elementary (5th or 6th) or maybe jr high we got an allowance. I remember opening a savings account in elementary school so maybe I got an allowance around then so I could learn about saving money.
ReplyDeleteI loved Free To Be You And Me! I think we still have the record someplace.