Friday, December 4, 2009

Art class




 


One thing Cap and I agreed on at the beginning of this Fall was that we wanted the kids to take at least one class outside of the home.  We valued the opportunity for them to experience learning and teaching, and being, in a new environment, with new kids and grown-ups.

For Sag, it was a no-brainer.  He loves to express himself through the visual arts.  As luck would have it, I met someone at the birthday party of a new homeschooling friend who spoke very positively about an art program her sons were enrolled in.  This program was offering a free trial class, so Sag tried it out, and he loved it.

Here are his finished works from the Fall session which came to a close this week.

#1: a painted clay bowl (he resolutely refused to add feet to the bowl).

#2: a Bionicle creature sculpted with Rigid Wrap.

#3: a block print (he designed the rubber stamp used to make the print).

#4: a purple watercolor submitted to a local competition celebrating their production of The Color Purple (he was excited to enter his first competition, briefly disappointed that his work was not selected).

#5: a self-portrait in watercolor (he refused to cut it up to make it a Cubist work).

#6: watercolor with marker.

#7: leaf rubbings with crayon.

#8: crayon rubbings and tempera paint prints.

Sag has signed up for the Winter session (class resumes in January), and Gem has decided to join him there.  I appreciate the warm, pragmatic and flexible style of the teacher.  I also appreciate his being exposed to some new materials.  He would tell you that he loves seeing his new friends.  Animated discussion about various things Lego can always be heard out in the hallway where I sit during class.

No comments:

Post a Comment