Thursday, December 3, 2009

Peter Pan


Auntie Barbra gave us this wonderful edition years ago (but as it turns out, reading it now, the timing feels pretty perfect for where the boys are at developmentally). 

It is a beautiful book.  The gloss-y yet matte-y texture of the thick paper inside and out, the heft that comes with hardcover, the warm yet fantastically lit and tinted illustrations...all combine to make a worthy whole.  But, the best part?  Unabridged J. M. Barrie is hilarious.  The writing is delicious and funny.  Sag, Gem and I are enjoying this book.

Somehow, I have not sustained a practice of reading books aloud to the kids.  I read to them a lot when they were younger, but these days, they don't ask me to read to them...they read on their own.  I noticed that when I offered to read to them, they would choose comic books or occasionally, a visual dictionary (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.)  Not my cup of tea.

I realized I was longing to share fuller stories with them...winding tales...the kind of stuff I used to get lost in (and still do when I get the rare chance).  After a series of fits and starts (with other books), we've settled in with Peter Pan.  They like it enough to come back around me when it's time for another chapter.  They like the silliness...the whimsy of the language, the debunking of grown ups and their ways.

I recommend this edition

What books are you enjoying with kids in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment