After my mother took us to see Wintuk, I wanted the kids to write about the experience. The performance was of such a large scale, and quite special, and I wanted to have a souvenir, a commemoration, of the event. Writing is a great way to reflect on an experience...to organize one's thoughts and synthesize seemingly disparate elements into one whole.
In Japan, children who are beginning to write almost always pair their writing with a drawing. I remember really liking this when I was a child in Japanese school. And, it naturally comes to me to pair these activities with my own kids, almost forty years later.
These pieces of illustrated writing were photocopied onto card stock and then given to "Baba" as a thank you card.


These are birthday cards the kids made for Cap's dad and mom. Late November always starts our holiday season off with a bang. Sag, who was born on a Thanksgiving Day, shares his birthday with his "Mummu". "Pops" has his birthday just days later and this year, as you can see, was a milestone birthday for him.
I love how the kids' passions, senses of humor and in-the-moment yet of-the-person-not-present-and-thought-about thinking permeate these cards.




What great birthday cards. Very special!
ReplyDeleteOhhh, is this the first comment? I forgot to set the blog to send me e-mails when someone comments! Thanks, Jame :-)
ReplyDelete