Monday, January 18, 2010

The Moffats

 
 

We started a new Read Aloud book tonight.  Gem chose The Moffats out of a few books I randomly pulled from the shelves (the other two were Mr. Popper's Penguins and Swallows and Amazons).

V joined us and I read to them by the light of a reading lamp.

This book was first published in 1941.  The kids were instantly smitten.  There's an immediacy to the writing and a clear from-the-eyes-and-mind-of-a-child perspective.  They asked for the second chapter which we started, but didn't get through.  There was some minor grumbling about that.

A sweet bedtime followed as Sag requested we wait for V to get into her pajamas so she could be part of the sleep-time blessing.  V has so quickly become a member of our family.  It moves me.  How wonderful, Life.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book. The cover looks very cute. I'm glad things are working out so well with V being there. Sounds like it's a great experience for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention the cover. The illustrations inside the book are the originals and look quite different. The kids noticed that immediately with surprise. It led to us searching for the date of publication.

    Yes. V being here, like all our experiences really, is shaping our lives to make them what they are and will be.

    ReplyDelete