Saturday, January 2, 2010

Talking to a new friend

This afternoon, some friends of friends came over.  They are traveling to Japan for the first time, in February, and are looking for tips, advice and lessons on what to do, how to be, and getting the most out of their time there.

It is very fun sharing our experiences and ideas.  Cap and I both have been deeply and positively affected by our time in Japan...our lives changed by our Japanese friends and relatives.

As our new friends were leaving, I asked the 10 year old daughter if she was ready to go back to school on Monday.  She was not happy at the thought and we proceeded to have a short but kind of jolting conversation about home/schooling.

I ended up explaining to her that we don't do "school-at-home" like some others do, and that generally speaking we follow the kids' interests and deepen their understanding of what they are curious about.  And that that's what they do all the time in one way or another.

Her eyes bugged out and she said, "wow, I never get to do that (in school)."

Her dad came inadvertently close to saying, "yes, but you are learning how to deal with the fact that you don't get to learn what you want in school."

I felt her wistfulness, I felt his "oh shit" moment, and I felt a rush of energy, of validation and right-with-the-worldness, that what we are doing with our kids, is so true and goes so deep.  We are lucky and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment