Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day's end

The kids had a lovely day.  A spontaneous seven hour play date.  This was a day when homeschooling, unschooling, felt like Summer (as I remember it).  Hour upon hour of unstructured time to play, imagine, discuss, make decisions, make choices, negotiate, watch, listen, feel, sense, think, move and be still.  Individually, but also as a collective.  Going into the house at times, running back outside at others.  Bathed in the sun, breathing fresh Spring air in and out, in and out.  Heart beating steadily, nervous system in pretty perfect equilibrium.

I was at home, Donna did her thing at her home while the kids played and played pausing on occasion for a fortifying meal of homemade sushi and a snack of frozen fruit bars.

A truly good day.  One of those mythical days of childhood.

Cap picked the kids up on his way home from campus.  I had dinner ready.  Spaghetti, meat sauce, pesto, peas and bread.  Chocolate chip coffee cake for dessert.

My after dinner treat came when Gem climbed onto my lap and I inhaled deeply of his sun soaked head (over and over again).  My kind of aromatherapy.

I knew just how to end the kids' day.  A bath.  I remember taking baths in the summer after a day outside.  The soothing submersion of my worn out body into warm water, washing away the dirt and feeling so refreshed stepping out of the tub into a fluffy towel and being wrapped up tight and rubbed down vigorously.

 tub physics.

waiting his turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment