Saturday, February 20, 2010

Party

The kids and I went to a birthday party today.  It was held in a cavernous indoor space with a lot of inflatable slides and sporty play spaces.

These kinds of parties are a challenge for Gem, in particular.  Today he remarked on how loud the music was playing (it was really loud) and how unpleasant this was for him.  I reassured him that in awhile our brains and central nervous systems would adjust and that the music would not seem as loud and feel so unpleasant.

The kids really like the family who had invited us and this served as a great motivator to go to the party.

You know, we all have our quirky turn-offs.  I absolutely balked at the offer to spritz all our hands with hand sanitizer as we entered the play space.  I understood it, but was so deeply, albeit momentarily, out of my element that I flat out refused.  I was relieved that it didn't lead to an issue.  (I'm also the one at the retail cash register refusing to give out my phone number...)


Gem's MO: observe from a distance, stay close, and play when ready.
(that's my bag, which was bouncing off my hip)

Sag's MO: find a friend and glom onto them while getting his bearings.


We had a good time.  The boys are enjoying their goody 'buckets' as I type, chomping away on some sugar :-)

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much my godsons are like me- okay officially only 1 is my godson but I claim them both ;)

    I'm pretty sure I could go through life with earplugs in at all times. "Observe from a distance, stay close, and play when ready" is still my MO to this day. Although, sometimes it has made me feel more of an outsider and not a participant. Hopefully, Gem adjusts better than I did as he gets older.

    Of course I also did the same thing as Sag when I'd go to a gathering. I'd search through the crowd and find someone I knew and just hang back with them.

    Once they got their bearings and sure looks like they had fun!

    ps: I would have had my own hand sanitizer on me and would have been pulling it out every 5 minutes in one of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more claiming the merrier, I say :-)

    I'm afraid of what is in those hand sanitizers... I'd rather cultivate a strong immune system and battle germs the old-fashioned way :-)

    ReplyDelete